Home Energy Assistance

When You Need a Little Help to Heat Your Home

Sometimes saving fuel and weatherproofing your home is not enough to make energy affordable. Here are some programs for residents in New Jersey and New York that can assist you:



  • The Department of Community Affairs’ Universal Service Fund (USF) and Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) help pay for utilities, heating, and certain medically-necessary cooling expenses. Call 1-800-510-3102.
  • The Lifeline program gives NJ seniors and people with disabilities a $225 energy benefit. You must meet eligibility requirements or receive social security income to qualify. Lifeline is administered by the Department of Health and Senior Services. Call 1-800-792-9745.
  • TRUE Program (or Temporary Relief for Utility Expenses) provides one-time relief for gas and electric bills to moderate income households who are experiencing a temporary financial crisis. One of the eligibility requirements is that you must not have received assistance from USF or LIHEAP within the past year. Call 732-982-8710.
  • NJ SHARES provides temporary assistance to NJ residents who are not eligible for welfare or income-based energy assistance programs and who are having trouble paying their energy bills due to a financial crisis. Call NJSHARES at 1-866-657-4273.
  • To learn more about these and other energy assistance offered by the State of New Jersey, visit http://www.state.nj.us/bpu/assistance/programs/.



  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides low-income residents $400-$600 towards payment of heating bills. HEAP also helps pay for heat in emergency situations and for repair or replacement of heating equipment. Call 1-800-342-3009.
  • EmPower New York pays 100% of the cost of improvements, such as insulation or upgrades to appliances and lighting, to make the homes of income-eligible residents more energy efficient. Call 1-800-263-0960.
  • The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) helps pay for weatherstripping and caulking, insulating pipes and hot water tanks, and improving or replacing heating systems and other equipment. Call 518-474-5700.


A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau